15 September 2007

Buongiorno Florence

We've escaped the hustle and bustle of Rome for the relative quiet of Florence (I personally prefer the original 'Firenze'). We left Rome with a blast, having an all-day drinking session which included wines near the Pantheon, many beers and Bloody Maries at a Canadian-run bar in the backstreets and an overly big pizza at a reputed but overrated pizzeria. We've come to realise that us Adelaideans are very spoiled when it comes to food - only now in Florence have we discovered pizza that rivals some made at home. However, I must say my tomato and basil spaghetti for our late lunch was fantastic.

We have nothing planned for tonight but to walk off our lunch and possibly find some gelati and later some anti pasto for dinner. Tomorrow we're off on a bike tour around Tuscany, Chianti specifically. Despite what we commonly know as Chianti - based on experiences at the long-lost Don Giovanni's and adolescent experiences with Mateuse Rose - the wine from this region is fantastic.

We must make an apology - despite our best endeavours we haven't yet got our photos up online. Complexities continue to conspire and by the time we work it out we might well be home again.

I just have to get something off my chest: I will admit I have been somewhat of an intolerable travelling companion in recent days as our experience of Rome really demonstrated the worst effects of mass tourism. Although we're contributing to the problem by our mere presence, it is tragic to me to think that many of the world's beautiful sites are now ten thousand people deep at any time of day and wrapped in layers of security, bureaucratic control and gross tourist merchandise which, in my opinion, degrades most of these experiences. The Vatican, for example, was a marvel to view but to go inside would incur a penalty of half your day waiting in a line. I find it truly depressing that this is the way of the future, but I guess it also encourages me to think of ways to travel roads less trod. It also brings to mind yet again all the wonders we have in our backyard at home. Here endeth the rant.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

The waiting in line can be infuriating but as you've said it's almost part of the package these days. I still remember when Kellie and I were going to Corcovado to see Christ the Redeemer and funnily enough (however not funny at the time) we managed to arrange our visit to fall on Good Friday. I think every Catholic in Rio had decided to go and visit the Christ that same day! :) The drive up to the mountain itself took us about 2-3 hours. Ahh memories.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.