09 September 2009

Another day in paradise

Excuse the Phil Collins reference, but it had to be said. We're also technically ("I don't know what you mean by 'technically...'") on day three of paradise, but my report refers to day two.

Anyhoo, after an early night Bec was up and about early-ish but me, being the lazy sod I am, lay in bed fully intending to watch the sun rise (the main BR looks over the sea towards Kangaroo Island) but instead slept like the dead in a coma.

When I finally dragged my lazy carcass out of bed we decided to find the 'private beach' that had eluded us in the fading light of Monday evening. We were surprised by our own stupidity as the directions given to us by Yondah's proprietors were more or less accurate. After clambering down a bit of a goat track improved marginally by rudimentary steps we found ourselves on a little cove with towering cliff faces on either side and a beautiful view of Kangaroo Island interrupted only by massive rocks jutting out of the ocean. Jedi nearly exploded at his first sight of beach this journey and wasted no time getting into the water. Bec and I on the other hand had some exercise to catch up on, so while she lunged, stretched and flexed I went through all my tae kwon do techniques and patterns. I also managed a very brief swim, but the water was frickin' cold and I got out before Bec would be forced to question my gender (very briefly, the cove is very private, and my torn shorts were obstructing my technique. Nothing more need be said). Back at the ranch, I enjoyed the luxury of a solar-heated outdoor shower before changing into exercise clothes and taking Jedi for a run to Yondah's main gate. I nearly did myself an injury by trying to extend the run around a paddock that bounds the property and promptly rolled my ankle AND got a bug in my eye. Retreating to the safety of the track I finished of the run, and for each kilometre I ran, Jedi ran at least four, diving through the crop like a dog posessed. Quite handy really, since the emerging barley rid his belly of sand and water from our earlier beach wanderings.

After my second shower for the day I settled into the formalities of the day - reading. I am well and truly engrossed in Shantaram at the moment and, despite the apparent egotistical and arrogant nature of the author, I am stunned at the lyricism, wisdom and beauty in this book. On the flipside of my literary absorption, Bec was busily creating rather than consuming, hammering away at her most recent novel. She is nearing the end and it seems to have inspired her.

As darkness began to ascend, beers were opened and wines were cracked. Aside from a few Pales for me we enjoyed a Margaret River Riesling and a fantastic Killakanoon Cabernet - The Kellerman's Run. We managed three episodes of Lost and a casual dinner (gourmet mixed grill) before both falling asleep on the couch.

It's now 4:30pm the following day but I should be enjoying my book and mu beer rather than typing so I'll update you again tomorrow.

No comments: