13 September 2009

Thursday's highlights - lunch

Another day with very little achieved, and it was wonderful. It was a cool day, but the sun was out and strong, so Jedi and I took the opportunity to beach bash at the private cove. I ran through my forms and other TKD techniques while Jedi tested his bravery against the buffeting waves. The water was cold but tolerable, and I tried to coax Jedi into a walk around the rocks bounding the cove, but he was smarter than me and left me to discover a massive sea cave only metres from the sand. Intrigued, I sloshed to the cave entrance through knee-deep water, and just as I stepped to the threshold I plunged into a submerged depression. I didn't heed this warning and instead clambered into the cave, which stretched back about 10 metres into solid rock. As the waves ran up about half way into the cave I realised that a single freak wave of any substance would cause me certain death, and quickly made my escape, swimming over the depression and back to my very concerned dog.

With this minor excitement out of the way I clambered back up to the house and we promptly headed into Marion Bay for lunch at the Marion Bay Tavern. We had a table under a pavilion in the beer garden, so Jedi joined us as we enjoyed a gourmet pub lunch. Bec had an amazing Burmese kofta curry, with the koftas made from local seafood including crab, scallop and fish. I had an equally fabulous steak topped with Morton Bay bugtails. The steak was tender and richly flavoured, and the bug itself had a delicious nutty sweetness to it. Highly recommend lunch there if you're ever in those parts.

The rest of the afternoon was lost in sun, wine and relaxation; I did a lot of damage to my book, Shantaram, and Bec shared her time between reading and writing. Still satisfied from lunch we had a low-key dinner of left over risotto, and whiled away the dark hours with a few episodes of Lost.

No comments: